Monday 4 August 2014

Classics Club Spin #7


I love the Classics Club Spin.  I've participated in most of them, and have had a push to read some fantastic books (Their Eyes Were Watching God, Rebecca), some good ones (Lord of the Flies, Out of Africa), and some I'm just glad to have finished (Les Miserables).  So I was excited to see a new spin announcement this morning; if I can take part while heavily pregnant, I can do it with a newborn!

As always, I've used random.org to randomly select 20 books from my classics club list that I have yet to read.  Some will be planned rereads (in bold) and some will be new reads:

  1. Kim by Rudyard Kipling - I've tried starting this one before and didn't get very far.  Hopefully I will have better luck if this book is selected this time around.
  2. Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan - I would love it if this one is picked.
  3. Burmese Days by George Orwell
  4. The Bell by Iris Murdoch - One of my favourite books.
  5. Hard Times by Charles Dickens - At least this one is short for Dickens...
  6. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard 
  7. Persuasion by Jane Austen
  8. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck 
  9. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
  10. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  11. Orlando by Virginia Woolf - Woolf scares me, so I'll be a bit apprehensive if this one is picked.
  12. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  13. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
  14. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
  15. A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  16. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  17. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  18. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  19. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  20. Tess of D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
This is quite possibly the nicest classics club spin list I have ever compiled!  With the exception of Moby Dick, I really don't mind which number is selected.  I wouldn't be surprised if the whale comes up though, it's been on every list I have ever made, and each time I've been dreading it...

Are you taking part in the spin?  Link me to your list if you are.

24 comments:

  1. Yes, it certainly looks like a very good list! Hardly one "dreadful" book! ;-) Except the whale, of course. I agree with you on that one.

    The Grapes of Wrath has been mentioned so many time to me and, in spite of being allergic to Steinbeck ever since Of Mice and Men in high school, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    I hope you have a great spin, Sam! Enjoy whatever you get! :-)

    ~ Cleo ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, it'll be a good thing if it is picked, then I can just pick it up and stop dreading picking it up!
      I loved East of Eden, so I'm happy if either of the Steinbecks come up :)

      Delete
  2. If it helps I absolutely loved Moby-Dick. Not a day has gone by that I have not thought about the book, and I finished it a few weeks ago. Hard Times is my favorite Charles Dickens novel. I love the humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help, and I know who to come to if I need help appreciating it!

      Delete
  3. I have Dracula and The Handmaid's Tale on my list as well, though in different spots. But we both have Tess of D'Urberville on #20. What a coincidence. You have lots of great books on this list. After reading several great reviews about Moby-Dick recently, I am actually contemplating reading it. Whichever number you get, enjoy the read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be awesome if #20 comes up, we could do a readalong!

      Delete
  4. You have some great choices there! I haven't done a spin yet, but am seriously considering it this time -- I still have to figure out how I want to approach it & choose my 20 options -- I'm sure I'll come up with something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on - you know you want to :P
      I like the spin because it's a great way to be a part of the community without having too much pressure, as you get so long to read the book.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, the whale did come up! Good luck with that one Sam -- I hope it's not as dreadful as you fear.

      Delete
  5. Ha, I did not finish Moby Dick myself! Loved Kim though and Dracula is one of my favorite novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dracula is one of my favourites too, this will probably be my 5th or so read if it is picked. Glad you loved Kim, I think I just need to be more persistent with it.

      Delete
  6. Woolf is a little.....different. I had a hard time with the one novella I read of hers. Wow. It's like ADHD in writing. I had a hard time following her stream of consciousness. Now, a lot of people like her. But, I wasn't a big fan based on that one book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what intimidates me about Woolf. I think Orlando is more of a 'typically' written novel, so hopefully it will be a bit easier.

      Delete
  7. Great list. I recently finished One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and enjoyed it. Woolf seems to be an acquired taste, but if you can focus when you are reading it is quite understandable and once you sort out the rhythm of it absolutely brilliant. Good luck avoiding that whale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Cuckoo's Nest as I loved the film, and hopefully I will be able to get into Orlando if it is picked.

      Delete
  8. Joining the spin for the first time! I'm dreading reading Sophocles. The plays...I imagine they taste like ' literary' straw. BTW Moby Dick...it was massive and I was glad I finished it. Excuse the pun ...' a whale of a story ".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agh, I've never had the desire to read Moby Dick. We read an extremely abridged version in 10th grade English which I struggled through, can't imagine taking on the whole thing! Other than that, looks like you can't lose with that list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. We can cry into our cups together if we get the very sad Bell Jar this spin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't be afraid of Orlando. It's my favourite Woolf. Your list is full of fantastic books though. The Handmaid's Tale is on mine as a reread too, but a different number.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't want Moby Dick either! Tess came up as my spin a couple of rounds ago and I loved it. Here's my list:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-classics-club-spin-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Moby Dick ... that's a serious read! I will be interested to hear what you think. You've inspired me to read The Bell. I've always liked Iris Murdoch and never read that one.

    Sarah @WordHits

    ReplyDelete