Sunday 21 July 2013

Sam Sunday #23: Almost the Holidays


I've had a great weekend!  I can't remember the last time I felt this relaxed, what with all the stress I've had this year so far for one reason or another.  Yesterday I went shopping with my parents and then today my husband and I took a walk to the farm shop and laid around watching episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I have also taken two naps this weekend, which is very unusual for me but has helped to finally beat that end-of-term exhaustion I've been fighting for the last few weeks.

Another reason I'm happy is that I only have three working days to go before my six week summer holiday.  This academic year has felt like a long one and I'm excited to have time off to relax and be something other than a teacher.  I do have mixed feelings this year as my class are leaving primary school for good on Tuesday.  I'm especially attached to this bunch of kids because they were my very first class after qualifying four years ago and I taught them last year too.  That means I've spent three years in total with them and I've seen them grow up and change in lots of different ways and I will miss seeing them next year.  Teaching is such an all involving job anyway and to get to spend three years with a great set of children, day in day out, is something special.  I'm sure I will cry on Tuesday!

Looking ahead to the holidays, I have a lot of great things planned.  It's my sister's 30th birthday, our second wedding anniversary and I'm also planning to meet up with a friend who I haven't seen in person since university.  I have grand plans for the amount of books I will read and the amount of reviews I will write but I'm sure the second half of this week at least will be spent sleeping in and doing not much at all.

This week, I've been reading:
 

Review posted:

21 comments:

  1. A good weekend is almost medicinal I always think, it can do wonders. Yes, Buffy! I laid around watching Angel yesterday so almost snap :)

    I hope your last few days at work are good and Tuesday isn't too emotional! A couple of my friends are teachers and I know how much they're looking forward to the holidays too. I'm sure it will be a welcome rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will move on to Angel after finishing Buffy :)
      I am looking forward to the break but it's definitely more of a bittersweet feeling this year.

      Delete
  2. Yay, holidays! It's nice that you have had a nice weekend, and I hope next week goes well and not too emotional (a little emotional is always a good thing though).

    Curious what you think of that Larsson book, it's one of those that I am kind of curious about because of the talk and the hype but somehow it hasn't really made it to my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a little emotional is good.
      I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would. Crime in general isn't really my thing but it had an interesting plot and a good message against violence towards women. I will definitely read the remaining two books in the trilogy at some point.

      Delete
  3. Those strawberries look so good! Glad you had a relaxing weekend and some vacation time to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that will be hard to say goodbye to those kids. I've had one class of kids for two years in a row and it as hard when they moved on. I'm glad you're finally relaxing and feeling less stressed, you need it.

    Eat some strawberries, read a book for fun, and enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not looking forward to the goodbyes!
      But at the same time, I can't wait for my holidays :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! I don't want to even think about the holidays yet!
    I've not regretted my decision to stay home this summer not one time. It's been good for me, and I'll be a better teacher when the fall semester begins because of taking the much needed break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, the summer break is essential for me to be a happy teacher come September!

      Delete
  6. We have 9 weeks summer hols here in N Ireland so I loved summers when I was a teacher! We've just had a 10 day break in Portugal followed by some lovely sunny days. Tis a long summer to be entertaining children tho the sunshine helps! Enjoy your break. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer always makes a weekend better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's such a good show. We're still on season one, so there's lots of great watching ahead :)

      Delete
  8. It sounds like this type of weekend was just what you needed! Good for you! Stuff your pockets with tissues on Tuesday, sounds like you'll need them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will .... I cry at the drop of a hat anyway!

      Delete
  9. STRAWBERRIES! :D Yum!
    Sounds like you had an amazing weekend! Naps are necessary sometimes and it's nice to just relax with your husband like that!
    I totally get how Tuesday will be a bittersweet day, I would totally cry at something like that as well!
    Only three more days and then wonderful vacation time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm really going to get into the napping habit this summer, I felt so refreshed from having them this weekend.

      Delete
  10. Awwwww, your babies are leaving! (My sister is a teacher too and so I know what that's like. Sort of...)

    Your Saturday sounds like the best best best (Naps AND Buffy? Amazing) And yaaaaay for the school holidays! For you, that is. SIGH hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like the best kind of holiday to me - take some time just TO BE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope you enjoy those well-deserved 6 weeks, Sam! In Spain people often criticize teachers and how much "free" time they get which is such a non-sense! I do think returning well-rested and longing for work every September is key for both teachers and students performing well.

    Oh and I used to love Buffy! I still have some songs from Once More With Feeling! around.

    ReplyDelete