Monday 14 January 2013

The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne


Amy Wilde is at a party one evening when she meets a man named Leo.  Only after several dates does she realise that he is in fact Prince Leopold, a member of a minor European royal family.  Sounds perfect, right? But Amy is totally unprepared for the change in her life that dating royalty brings - her every move is scrutinised in the papers and she's put on a punishing fitness regime by Leo's family.  When a chance change to the succession laws brings Leo closer to the throne, the pressure on Amy intensifies and her own secrets threaten to become public knowledge.

The Runaway Princess is certainly different from my normal reading but I was craving a bit of brain candy last week and I did dream of marrying a Prince as a young girl (My Mum always wanted me to marry Prince Harry and my older sister to marry Prince William!!).  I liked the premise of the book, how it promised to go beyond the 'happily ever after' and I was in the mood for some light relief.  And on these terms, the book delivered.  It was fluffy and fun and it was always a pleasure to pick it up after being at work all day long.  It's easy to empathise with Amy and Browne had some fun with the minor characters too.

The only problem with this book was that Leo was mind-bogglingly perfect.  I mean, come on!  I could buy that he was sick of the trappings of royalty and just wanted to meet a normal girl, but I couldn't believe that he was that accommodating and non-spoilt, in addition to of course being amazingly handsome.  In fact, a better story-line could have been Amy falling in love with his arrogant brother Rolf, that might have had some more chance for character development.  As in most of the chick-lit I've read, the ending felt very tidy and again, I couldn't believe that Leo was that perfect.

On the whole, I spent a happy few nights with this book in a happy, stress-free place.  It's not high literature, but I did enjoy escaping with it :)

Source: Personal copy (kindle)
First Published: 2012
Score: 3 out of 5

11 comments:

  1. I read this too and I mostly enjoyed it, though I found it a little slow in places. I agree about Leo being too perfect. Even at the end. I think you're on to something with Rolf. I was a little more interested in his relationship with her roommate. But maybe he will be tamed in another book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially at the end, I think Leo gave up so much and I couldn't really see why. I would read a book about Rolf being tamed :P

      Delete
  2. We so need this kind of stuff sometimes, don't we? Sounds like a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially need it in the first week of a new term!

      Delete
  3. Ahh brain candy, love that term. We all need a bit of that now and then! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and I tend to need it especially in January :)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes light fluffy brain candy is just what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole perfection thing is over-rated. :) Little flaws are definitely more interesting. The plot summary reminds me a little of that Julia Stiles movie, The Prince and Me. I like that movie, even if it is light and fluffy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfection doesn't make for interesting characters. I haven't see the movie, but it sounds like the perfect guilty pleasure :)

      Delete
  6. It seems like a fun read, though Leo doesn't strike me as a character I'd be very drawn to. Perhaps I'll pick it up when school starts again and I need to either read a fun book or go on a murder spree. ;)

    ReplyDelete